Friday, May 23, 2008

Go Organic

Have a look at this !

Organic fresh produce delivered to my door. I usually try to buy my produce and meat locally, but living in the mountains there is really only 3 months out of the year produce is available. Our only other choice is Walmart. I hate buying produce at walmart. They do have a nice little line of organics now, but their selection is so limited and I have to drive all the way down a mountain to get it. The other day I ran across a lovely web site that ships fresh organic foods right to your door. More food miles than local, yes, but in the end it is better than food shipped in from some far off country. Both better for you and better for our planet, I believe. We decided to give it a whirl, and boy howdy am I pleased. It was easy, fast, and my kids love it. The box arrived and they tore it open and started shoving food in their tiny little faces. I sort of like the variety aspect of it. Some of it I don't think I would buy normally but I sure will try it now that it is in my house. Here is a list of what I got delivered right to my door for $82.00 and that included shipping.

3 apples
3 citrus fruits
1 pear
2 kiwi
4 peaches
1 bunch of red grapes
1 bunch of green grapes
3 red potatoes
1 small package of cherries
1 head of garlic
one box of cherry tomatoes
1 bunch of green beans
4 zucchini
2 bunches of cooking greens
1 package of mesclun salad mix
1 bunch green onions
one head of leaf lettuce
1 bunch of spinach
1 bunch of parsley
1 bunch of basil

They also included a recipe sheet to tell me how to cook some of it. The selection will change seasonally , of course, but I am pleased and we will do this again for sure. In fact next time I think I will get the larger size box, as my kids have already dug in to the shipment and show no signs of coming up for air.

No comments: