Sunday, January 18, 2009

Stuff, Stuff, and More Stuff

This January a few things have all come together to make me realize what a culture of stuff we all live in.

First off my boys and I have been reading some of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Yes, she wrote some that appeal to little boys. Did you know when they moved the entire families belongings fit in their wagon. Yes, they could move in one trip and they moved their stove !

Could you? Even if it was just your stuff ?

Or that she was completely amazed when she went to a friends house and they had a room just for eating. I guess better known as a dinning room.

Second it is after Christmas which is my traditional haul stuff to the dump and thrift store time. The other one being in late August when the boys go back to school and I can finally clean out with out their " help". This year I have been in shock at how much just stuff we have accumulated over the year. Did we really bother to buy, haul, and put away all this useless stuff ?

Any how, this year I have hit the clean out trail a little harder than usual and with a new pair of eyes. It just amazes me how much time and money we waste on our stuff, and we are not even the average consumer family. So this year I am making a late New Years Resolution to do a better job of sorting out what I WANT as compared to what we really NEED.

No comments: