Friday, November 9, 2007

Strange days

It seems as if my days here at skunky acre are getting stranger and stranger. First there was the day my mom called and my vacuum cleaner had just caught fire. Then there was the morning I found myself standing in the chicken coop with a gun defending my chickens against something that had just jumped off the roof of my house. Oh, and did I mention that it was 5 in the morning! My washing machine has also decided that it will only work if you kick it just right, and the blender exploded all over the kitchen. At this point I am wondering if I should laugh or cry. The strange part of it is that I would not trade it all for the world. There may be a good deal of strange hard work out here, but it really is a fun adventure. I love that we had to put curtains in the dining room because the deer would look in a watch us eat, and that my kids spend their free time hunting lizards. I actually like finding strange scratches on the deck and then spending the entire afternoon out there trying to figure out what made them, and that my youngest son's preschool requires him to own snow boots. Speaking of schools, my oldest son attends a 2 room school house that is 100 years old, and has the most wonderful teacher. I can't help but feel so lucky that we get to live some where we can watch for elk in the yard, even though we have a bit of a skunk problem. I think life is funny and sometimes you end up in the darnedest of places and end up loving it.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

How fun to have deer watch you eat and look for elk in the front yard! I'm glad you are enjoying the new house so much!

Unknown said...

Do the deer watch you eat venison and recoil with horror?
:)